October
October was the busiest month ever. Not only was baby Luke born, but it was the ONE month that Matt was home during his entire, year-long rotation in Korea. He had been gone for 6 months so it was amazing to see him again!
I had been so nervous that the baby would come early before he got back, so to have him return home and still be pregnant was such a relief!
I wrote all about Luke's birth a couple posts back, which was obviously the highlight of the month. Here's what else we did with our four weeks together.
On his first day back, Matt tried to surprise us by showing up at the house an hour early. Unfortunately, when he burst through the door I was in the bathroom, and Lydia was so surprised by seeing him that she froze. It wasn't quite the 'everyone runs into his arms' moment he expected! Just another reason why I'd much rather have things meticulously planned out instead of being surprised. ;) But after Lydia recovered from her shock she was by his side every waking minute the whole first week.
We had a little welcome-home party for Matt the second night he was home. We had all kinds of Korean food including home made Korean BBQ and Baby Shark cookies Matt bought in Seoul. Wish we'd gotten a picture of it all!
Halloween was the one holiday we got to celebrate all together this year. For our ward Halloween party Matt, Lydia and Luke dressed as woodland creatures: a lumberjack, bunny, and moose! Then I stayed home with baby Luke while Matt, Lydia, Heidi and Mike went to the party.
We didn't feel like buying costumes this year, so we made them using things we had. I cheated and bought a new loofah to use as Lydia's bunny tail (but I'll end up using that), but otherwise, everything was made out of things we already owned! SCORE.
Family / newborn photos. We took these at my parents house and I'm so glad we did these while we could.
Heidi and Mike visited for Luke's baby blessing and stayed for a few days. It was so, so nice getting to spend time with them! They took great care of us all. They even got to visit Lydia's preschool. Then, when they drove back to Utah, they took Barkley with them. He'll be staying with them until the spring because I have my hands full! So grateful for their help!
Luke's baby blessing was wonderful. I wrote all about it in the last post.
Lots of cuddling with Luke!
Matt was the BEST daddy and helper while he was here. He took Lydia to preschool on his bike most mornings and went on adventures with her (including the Oakland Zoo, the beach in Alameda, the indoor trampoline place, and lots more) so I could be home with the baby. And he did EVERY diaper change. I changed maybe 3 diapers during Luke's first two weeks. It was SO nice! 😄
Oh, and we set up our Christmas tree early so Matt could be part of Luke's first Christmas. (He won't be coming home for Christmas this year. ðŸ˜)
Matt had to go back to Korea when Luke was 2 weeks old (18 days exactly). It was a really tough goodbye. We can't wait to see him again in April!
I had been so nervous that the baby would come early before he got back, so to have him return home and still be pregnant was such a relief!
I wrote all about Luke's birth a couple posts back, which was obviously the highlight of the month. Here's what else we did with our four weeks together.
On his first day back, Matt tried to surprise us by showing up at the house an hour early. Unfortunately, when he burst through the door I was in the bathroom, and Lydia was so surprised by seeing him that she froze. It wasn't quite the 'everyone runs into his arms' moment he expected! Just another reason why I'd much rather have things meticulously planned out instead of being surprised. ;) But after Lydia recovered from her shock she was by his side every waking minute the whole first week.
He showered us with gifts including this adorable hanbok (Korean dress) for Lyd!
We had a little welcome-home party for Matt the second night he was home. We had all kinds of Korean food including home made Korean BBQ and Baby Shark cookies Matt bought in Seoul. Wish we'd gotten a picture of it all!
Halloween was the one holiday we got to celebrate all together this year. For our ward Halloween party Matt, Lydia and Luke dressed as woodland creatures: a lumberjack, bunny, and moose! Then I stayed home with baby Luke while Matt, Lydia, Heidi and Mike went to the party.
We didn't feel like buying costumes this year, so we made them using things we had. I cheated and bought a new loofah to use as Lydia's bunny tail (but I'll end up using that), but otherwise, everything was made out of things we already owned! SCORE.
We also took Lydia to a pumpkin patch a few days before Luke was born. See her peeking out behind Matt's legs?
We carved a jack o lantern, which Lydia named Jackie Lanternson.
And on actual Halloween day, Luke dressed up as Baby Shark :) in a sweater Sarah bought for him.
Family / newborn photos. We took these at my parents house and I'm so glad we did these while we could.
Heidi and Mike visited for Luke's baby blessing and stayed for a few days. It was so, so nice getting to spend time with them! They took great care of us all. They even got to visit Lydia's preschool. Then, when they drove back to Utah, they took Barkley with them. He'll be staying with them until the spring because I have my hands full! So grateful for their help!
![]() |
| Saying goodbye for a little while |

Matt was the BEST daddy and helper while he was here. He took Lydia to preschool on his bike most mornings and went on adventures with her (including the Oakland Zoo, the beach in Alameda, the indoor trampoline place, and lots more) so I could be home with the baby. And he did EVERY diaper change. I changed maybe 3 diapers during Luke's first two weeks. It was SO nice! 😄
![]() |
| My 39-weeks-pregnant grimace |
Oh, and we set up our Christmas tree early so Matt could be part of Luke's first Christmas. (He won't be coming home for Christmas this year. ðŸ˜)
















































Comments
Post a Comment