My 2019 Book-per-Week Challenge
This year, I read 52 books.
Like, I actually read them. No Audible or books on CD here!
Why?
This time last year, I wanted to set an ambitious-for-me goal to achieve in 2019.
Another marathon was out, because I was pregnant (yay!) Something travel-related was out, because we had another cross-continent move on the books for April... our second within 6 months (first we moved out of Alaska to Virginia, then from Va to Ca, all in one year).
So when someone mentioned in passing that they had a friend who read a book every week, it just kind of... stuck. I just knew that was going to be my "stretch goal" for the year!
What?
I'd been really wanting to revisit young adult classics that I somehow missed (or don't remember reading) growing up. Anne of Green Gables. The Bridge to Terabethia. Where the Red Fern Grows. So many more. How had I missed these fabulous books?
So I started scouring cute little used book stores for inexpensive ($1 or $2) copies of the classics. Extra points if the cover art was beautiful, because they're just so much fun to read if they're pretty, too.
How?
Early in my pregnancy, I read on the treadmill while I walked. That got in about an hour per day (bless the amazing gym we had in Virginia with the adorable child care center).
Later, after Matt deployed, I'd read at night instead of watching TV or scrolling social media. The added benefit was I had way less screen time this year! Just don't ask me what happened on The Bachelor, This is Us, The Crown Season 3, etc. I have no idea. I was reading!
The complete list!
Here are all 52 books I read this year, in order...
Another takeaway is that this was SO much more doable than it seems!! Just 30 minutes or so before bed really added up. If you're thinking about trying it, just get started by picking out a stack of books that you're really excited about, and see how it goes!
Like, I actually read them. No Audible or books on CD here!
Why?
This time last year, I wanted to set an ambitious-for-me goal to achieve in 2019.
Another marathon was out, because I was pregnant (yay!) Something travel-related was out, because we had another cross-continent move on the books for April... our second within 6 months (first we moved out of Alaska to Virginia, then from Va to Ca, all in one year).
So when someone mentioned in passing that they had a friend who read a book every week, it just kind of... stuck. I just knew that was going to be my "stretch goal" for the year!
What?
I'd been really wanting to revisit young adult classics that I somehow missed (or don't remember reading) growing up. Anne of Green Gables. The Bridge to Terabethia. Where the Red Fern Grows. So many more. How had I missed these fabulous books?
So I started scouring cute little used book stores for inexpensive ($1 or $2) copies of the classics. Extra points if the cover art was beautiful, because they're just so much fun to read if they're pretty, too.
How?
Early in my pregnancy, I read on the treadmill while I walked. That got in about an hour per day (bless the amazing gym we had in Virginia with the adorable child care center).
Later, after Matt deployed, I'd read at night instead of watching TV or scrolling social media. The added benefit was I had way less screen time this year! Just don't ask me what happened on The Bachelor, This is Us, The Crown Season 3, etc. I have no idea. I was reading!
The complete list!
Here are all 52 books I read this year, in order...
- White Fang - Jack London
- Understanding Temple Covenants
- Tuck Everlasting - Natalie Babit
- Bambi - Felix Saltan
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carrol
- The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkein
- Madame Chic - Jennifer L. Scott
- Misty of Chincoteague - Margarete
- Nancy Drew - Nancy's Mysterious Letter - Carolyn Keene
- The Great Divorce - C.S. Lewis
- Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls
- Bringing Up Bebe - Pamela Druckerman
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
- The Giver - Lois Lowry
- By the Shores of Silver Lake - Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Velveteen Rabbit - Margery Williams
- Sarah, Plain and Tall - Patricia McLachlan
- The Penderwicks - Jeanne Birdsall
- The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
- Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Pearson
- The Boys in the Boat - Daniel James Brown
- The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster
- A Grief Observed - C.S. Lewis
- The Montessori Toddler - Simone Davies
- The Long Winter - Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
- The Wealthy Barber - David Chilton
- Believing Christ - Stephen E. Robinson
- The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
- On the Banks of Plumb Creek - Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Stickeen - John Muir
- Treasure Island - Robert Lewis Stevenson
- The Horse and His Boy - C.S. Lewis
- Prince Caspian - C.S. Lewis
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - C.S. Lewis
- The Babywise Guide
- I am Malala - Malala Yousafzai
- Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O'Dell
- The Four Loves - C.S. Lewis
- Quiet - Susan Cain
- Never Cry Wolf - Farley Mowatt
- Little Town on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Pearl - John Steinbeck
- Mystery at Lilac Inn - Carolyn Keene
- The Lord God Made Them All - James Herriot
- A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
- Christmas on Jane Street - Billy Romp
- Miracle on 34th Street - Valentine Davies
- The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
- My Antonia - Willa Cather
- Gift of the Magi - O. Henry
- Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery
My favorite books of the year were...
- Anne of Green Gables
- The Remains of the Day
- Black Beauty
The books that I learned the most from this year...
- The Wealthy Barber
- Believing Christ
- I am Malala
But I really enjoyed almost every book! Even if I didn't love every storyline, I was still glad to have read the books and learned what they're about. For example, I didn't really like The Giver. I mean it just kinda gave me the creeps. BUT I'm really glad to have read it and know what it's all about. I feel more informed and well-read.
The biggest takeaway? Books make you smarter! And there are SO MANY wonderful, fascinating books out there. And there is SO MUCH to learn. And... I really didn't miss anything by skipping out on extra TV and social media time.
I loved this challenge and am so glad I did it! I feel like a better informed, more well-rounded person. I actually feel smarter! For 2020, I might take some time to tackle the longer books that I couldn't finish in a week. Like another Jane Austen book. Or Watership Down, which Matt has been telling me I should read for like 2 years. :)












Comments
Post a Comment