Grad School


As you may have heard, I was recently accepted into grad school at the University of Southern California!


Beginning in May, I'll start classes for my graduate degree in communications and marketing. It's a dream come true and I'm still in disbelief that it's real!!

USC is a big deal in my family. My dad went there as an undergraduate and for law school, and my sister Ellen goes there now! (She's working on a master's degree in Occupational Therapy and is in their famous marching band! :) Growing up, my parents took my sisters and me to USC's campus in L.A. almost yearly for homecoming, football games, etc. We even went to a USC family camp for a few summers, called SCamp!

At a football game in LA last October


So the school is more than just a place to get an education - it's also a family tradition :) When I heard they had a program that met all my needs, I applied immediately!

The program I'm starting is designed specifically for working professionals, meaning I'm going to keep my full-time job while in school. That was really important to me - I love what I do (that's why I'm pursuing a degree in the first place - so I can be better at my job!) and want to keep up the momentum that I've created in my career. This program will hopefully add to my momentum!

I can watch lectures online, email in my assignments, etc., meaning I get to stay with Matt - wherever that will be! (Provo for now, but who knows where the army will send us after that!)

USC v U of U in 2012

My career field, which I hope to stay in, is worksite wellness. I chose a communications and marking degree program because, although I know plenty about the health side of my field, I don't know a lot about the business side. This should help round out my abilities and make me better at what I do!

So the program is ideal :) I expect it to be a lot of work, so I'm a little nervous! But I also feel really strongly that I need to do this, and that I will be able to get through it and enjoy it!

Dad and Elle :) Fight on!


Aah!

Friends in grad school, any advice??

Comments

  1. WOW! Congratulations, Laura. It does not surprise me at all that you would get into a great graduate program. You have so much knowledge, talent and a great work ethic. My advice for graduate school is to stay on top of your studies, get to know people around you (which will be easy for you), and enjoy every moment. Looking back, graduate school provided a lot of learning opportunities and was also very flexible. I enjoyed the freedom. I am so curious to know what kind of career you are planning to pursue once you are finished?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts