Alta, Oquirrh Mountain + Salt Lake
Hello, and welcome back! Hope you've had a lovely week!
It seems like a long time since we checked in, because there's been so much going on. Here's what we've been up to. :)
Last Sunday night (which feels like a month ago) we packed our bags and headed to Alta, Utah.
We drove half way there and stopped at a hotel for the night. It was so fun to play in their pool and wake up to a complementary breakfast. It felt like we were on our honeymoon again!
The next morning we made it to our hiking spot. Alta is a ski resort neighboring Snowbird and even though it's clearly set up for the winter, the hiking and views were wonderful and we loved our time there. :)
| wildflowers everywhere! |
We took a 3 1/2 hour hike up through Albion Basin to Cecret Lake.
We had a great time!
A major reason we went was to get extra together-time before Matt leaves for his training deployment later this summer. It'll be a relatively quick trip for him, and we both feel good about it, but it will still be weird to be separated for the first time since we got married!
After exploring Alta we spent a few hours in Salt Lake since it was on the way home.
We stopped at Matt's favorite German deli and picked up a couple favorite treats from his mission!
Later we ate at Pie Pizza right next to the U of U football stadium! Apparently this place is 'the place to be' before and after football games. Anyone from the U know if that's true? :)
Matt ordered a pizza and loved every bite - I tried it too and agreed. Delicious!
By Monday night we'd made it home and crashed straight into bed.
Tuesday after yoga and work we took it easy to recuperate from the trip. I'm pretty sure we watched episodes of Spongebob but I can't really remember... Haha :D ( click here for Spongebob! )
Wednesday we were back at it! As usual we wanted to go to the temple, but since Provo is still closed for renovations or cleaning we thought outside the box. We decided on Oquirrh Mountain Temple! It's a little farther away but worth the trip. :)
![]() |
| borrowed from Google images |
It was my first time going to this temple and it already ties for my favorite temple in Utah, along with Draper. It was especailly gorgeous and 'homey' inside!
Visiting the temple helpes us feel peaceful and happy. Temple attendance brings a deeper connection to our relationships with eachother and with God. It is irreplaceable!
OK - I've had friends not of our faith ask me about the temple, and I always LOVE talking about my beliefs, but sometimes I feel like I can't find the right words. Fortunately, I did find a great video explaining what temples are all about!
This video, an interview with an LDS church leader, shows rooms inside temples - explains what goes on inside them - and takes away the "secrecy" so many people perceive. It's one of the best videos on LDS temples that I've seen. :) Here it is!
I hope that helps!
The next day was Thursday - another regular work day, including workouts and teaching yoga. Some things never get old. :)
Friday was a wonderful day for a few reasons. First, It rained all morning. Those of you who live in Utah know why this is great! We live in a desert, so a little preciptation to break up the heat and dry air is always a good thing!! It made me more than ready for autumn to arrive. Sweaters and soup, here we come! (might be jumping the gun here? hah)
Also, we bought plane tickets to Oregon for this fall! :D We got a smokin' deal on airfare and booked right away. It will be SO fun to visit my alma mater and Matt's family, and the purpose of the trip is for a wedding! Wooohoo!
In the evening we got together with other couples in our apartment for an outdoor movie!
Someone had the equipment and know-how to get a projector going against a blank wall, so we all came out with pillows and blankets to watch! Our neighbors are seriously great. :)
Saturday FLEW by. I taught another very full Saturday Yoga class and then went on TEN MILE run!
Running 10 miles is a big deal for me. A year ago I thought it was impossible, but thanks to a little determination and the amazing health program I keep mentioning, I was able to complete the whole run. It left me feeling tired but PUMPED!
Running is SO much easier now that I'm down to my goal weight. (easier on joints, less effort required, etc). And the best part is that almost ANYone can lose weight the way I did! This program really changed my life.
Going on a long run inspired me to keep training for the half marathon in a couple months. If I can do 10, I can do 13.1, right? :D
![]() |
| these legs are ready to run! |
The rest of the evening was spent at home. :) We had a couple things to prepare for today:
First, we're each speaking in church! I like public speaking so I'm looking forward to it.
Then later tonight we pick up Matt's little sister from the airport! Jenica is staying with us for a few nights around her softball camp at BYU. It'll be fun to have her here!
Now we're off to polish our talks before church. We'll leave you with two pictures of the men in my life...
I took this one at Pier One: Matt playing King of the Jungle. Notice the tiki torch scepter. :)
And last but not least, my dad. :) A few weeks ago he went on a fishing trip and come home with over 40 pounds of samlon. Go, Dad!
That's it for this week... see you next time! Make it a great one! :)












laura! where is that little german store? peppermint ritter sport is like my favorite thing ever. i am going to make my mom&dad get some when they go to utah this month haha. and also what is the health program you are talking about?!?
ReplyDeletelindsay (duffy :) )
Hey Lindsay! I loved it too!:) The German store is called Siegfried's Deli in SLC near Temple Square ( 20 W 200 S ). They have about 50 types of Ritter Sport!
ReplyDeleteI'll send you a private FB message about the health program!