Start of Summer 2019

It feels like summer is already half way over - maybe because I'm counting based on when Matt left (April) and when he gets back (October but just for a few weeks and then he goes back!) So based on that, we're half way through summer and I'm totally OK with it! We've made the most of our first few months in the Bay Area and are finally settled into a happy routine.


We love living near family. Our apartment is 2 minutes from my parents' house, and a highlight of the year is that Lydia gets to build a strong relationship with Grandma Trudy and Grandpa Mark. Now that we're more or less settled, it feels like I can take a breath - at least until Baby Boy comes in October!

Here are the highlights of our summer so far...

Bethany's Visit!












Bethany is just the best! We had so much fun during her visit and got out to do things we probably wouldn't have done otherwise: flying kites under the Golden Gate Bridge, seeing the Palace of Fine Arts in SF, getting ice cream at Ghirardelli Square,  and going back to hike through the redwoods at Muir Woods. 

She even brought Lydia the sweetest unicorn purse and a lipgloss (that L uses pretty much daily - she's such a girly girl) since it was right before her birthday. To know B is to love her!

Oakland Temple Open House



It was perfect timing that the Oakland Temple had an open house right after we moved here! It had been closed for a year+ due to renovations and was finally open for the public to tour (usually temples are only open to active members of The Church who are over 12 years old).

My mom, Lydia and I took the tour and it was incredible!! Taking them to see a temple was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and one of the highlights of living in the Bay Area this year. Lydia may have fussed the whole time and it was very crowded (although the pics don't show that!) but 100% worth it.

You can learn more about the Oakland Temple HERE.

Lydia's THIRD Birthday


I wrote a separate post all about L's birthday HERE. She had so much fun that she still likes to "play birthday" and set up a tea party for her stuffed animals, Barkley, and me pretty much every day. :)

First she had a party with family (we went to a tea restaurant one weekend when Ellen flew up), and a party with friends from church and preschool on her actual birthday. We had 25 friends come which was so, so fun, especially considering we were still so new to the ward and the school!

 She also got to open presents "with" Daddy (on FaceTime) first thing after she woke up on her birthday. I couldn't have asked for a better day for her!

Adventures with Sarah










Ok, I knew living near Sarah would be another high point of this year, and it definitely has been! Somehow she's found time to go on fun outings with us between work (she's the HEAD of menswear at Old Navy - a big job!) and her traveling around the world. We've hiked Muir Woods, explored Oakland a little bit, and spent Memorial Day together in Walnut Creek. 

Father's Day / Grandpa's Day










Another major highlight? Spending holidays with my parents! It's such a fun experience for Lydia to be with them on all of the holidays for an entire year - we may never get this opportunity again so we are soaking it up!
On Father's Day she gave Grandpa a card and a big batch of cookies, and later we all went out to dinner at Rocco's, his favorite restaurant in the world. Dessert was a home made cherry pie that I made. 
For Matt: we sent him a big package with artwork Lydia made at school and gifts!

The 4th of July







We had a fun 4th of July! First was the Danville Parade with my parents. L was scared for the first half and wouldn't let go of me, but by the end she was loving it.
After nap, we spent the afternoon at a BBQ and pool party with friends from our new ward.

Visited Aunt Pat



This was the first time Lydia got to meet her Great "Aunt" Pat (really my mom's aunt), and my first time seeing her since Matt's and my wedding! 

Preschool









Lydia loves preschool! She goes to a great little Montessori school 4 days/week in the mornings. We are so glad they accommodated her for the year (they kind of let us skip the waitlist because of our military situation / temporary placement). She loves to play with her new friends (she tells us about Gabriella and Iris and Noelle almost every day), and has learned a lot. She already knows the days of the week, months of the year, all about nature, and more! 

It's just been the best thing ever for Lydia. She's social, active, and bright, so she's thriving there. 

Work 

I still work 20 hrs/week and it's incredibly nice to work during the day for the first time in years. Since L was born I'd only worked during the fringe hours when Lydia was asleep or out with Matt. Now I have time!

Waiting on Baby Boy



Baby Brother is due Oct 15! 

So far this pregnancy has gone well and I've felt OK (but not as great as when I was pregnant with Lydia and honestly felt amazing the whole time.) I feel him kicking up a storm every day.

Talking to Matt every day

We get to talk to Matt every day. I don't know how people did deployments before FaceTime... We have family meals, read scriptures, and talk all the time. 
Matt showed her filters - she was confused for a second, but then couldn't get enough. :)













Reading challenge


My personal development challenge for 2019 is to read a book per week! I'm a little surprised I've been able to keep it up through everything, but am really glad I have!

Here are the books I've read so far since January 1

1. White Fang - Jack London
2. Understanding Temple Covenants 
3. Tuck Everlasting - Natalie Babit
4. Bambi - Felix Salten 
5. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
6. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien 
7. Madame Chic - Jennifer L. Scott
8. Misty of Chincuateague - Margarete 
9. Nancy Drew - Nancy’s Mysterious Letter - Carolyn Keene 
10. The Great Divorce - C.S. Lewis
11. Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls
12. Bringing up BƩbƩ - Pamela Druckerman
13. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
14. The Giver - Lois Lowry
15. By the Shores of Silver Lake - Laura Ingalls Wilder
16. The Velveteen Rabbit - Margery Williams
17. Sarah, Plain and Tall -Patricia MacLachlan
18. The Penderwicks - Jeanne Birdsall
19. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
20. Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson
21. The Boys in the Boat - Daniel James Brown
22. The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster
23. A Grief Observed - C.S. Lewis
24. The Montessori Toddler - Simone Davies
25. The Long Winter - Laura Ingalls Wilder
26. Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
27. The Wealthy Barber - David Chilton
28. Believing Christ - Stephen E. Robinson
29. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald


Comments

  1. So fun to read all your updates, Laura! I'm glad you guys have settled in and are doing so well. It must be really special for you and your parents to have you and Lydia right there. Your reading challenge list is inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica! It's been great to be near family for a while. As for reading... I just keep thinking, 'why wasn't I doing this before??' :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts