Around the World in April and May

Matt had a training in Korea for a few weeks starting in April. While he was gone Lydia and I flew to the lower 48 to see family! First we visited my parents in Walnut Creek, then I had a girls weekend with Sarah in NYC, and then Lydia and I flew to see Heidi and Mike in Utah. Barkley stayed with our friends in Alaska, so at one point each member of our little family was in a different state / country!


Matt left the day before Lydia and I did, but we all had the same layover in Seattle, so we got to meet up for a few minutes! Lyd and I had 10 minutes to run from the far side of the airport over to the international terminal to see him. We made it!



After sending him off to Asia, our first stop was Walnut Creek. We had a great time with my mom and dad and were especially grateful to be out of Alaska when we saw it was still snowing in May! We loved being in the sunshine, shopping and playing at the park.






Baby geese in the canal!
I love this shot because I have so many like it on this trail from when I was little.




"Doggy walk"








One weekend my mom generously offered to watch Lydia so I could go visit Sarah in NYC! I bought cheap last-minute tickets and flew across the country. It was a perfect sisters weekend - we shopped, worked out every morning (Bar Method!), ate amazing food, met up with a few of her friends, and went horseback riding in Prospect Park (in skirts)! I loved seeing New York in the springtime!








All about Whole Foods delivery! Waiting for them to have
this in Alaska...

I'm still dreaming about this risotto with spring veggies



Cutest girl on the subway!

Post-workout smoothie bowls

"Take me to a cafe full of people Instagramming their avocado toast."
"Done."














Free upgrade to first class!

Meanwhile Lydia was happy in Walnut Creek, spending quality time with Grandma Trudy and Grandpa Mark!


Probably watching Shaun the Sheep

After the weekend in NYC I flew back to my parents' house. We spent a few more days there, then Lydia and I said goodbye to my mom and dad, and flew to see Heidi and Mike in Utah!

It just so happened that Whitney was there too, with Stanton, so these cousins FINALLY got to meet!




Delighted to meet "Baby Sa"!

Whitney and I got to go to the Provo temple together

While we were in Utah, I went to a 2-day work conference in Salt Lake.  CoreHealth likes to send each employee to one conference per year, so I chose this one since it was close to Heidi and Mike. Lydia loved hanging out with her grandparents while I was each of the days. The conference was great and it was fun to see what's going on in the worksite wellness industry.


After the conference was over, rest of my visit included hanging out with Heidi and Mike, taking Lydia to the aquarium, catching up with Bethany, and letting Lyd get to know "Grammie and Papa" a little better!



Butterfly garden in the aquarium. 










Watching Aunt Jenica's softball game - They're going to nationals!

Another temple trip. :)

After saying goodbye to Heidi and Mike it was time to fly back to Alaska.



Midnight arrival in Fairbanks -
we're almost back to sunlight 24 hours/day!

Matt didn't take a lot of pictures on his trip - they kept him pretty busy - but he did get to do a little exploring.



He said he really stood out as a tall, blue-eyed blonde in Korea. An asian girl on the train even asked to take a selfie with him because his hair was so "gold"!

And then our little family was finally reunited! Matt took us to a Korean restaurant to have us try Korean food (he even used a couple of his new Korean phrases when he ordered), and to celebrate finishing his first semester of grad school (he got an A!)


Whew! And finally, I finished teaching my last semester for UAF. One of my students' assignment even made it into the news!  I'll really miss teaching college students.


Here are a couple pictures (from before all the travel) that I wanted to include, too:




Happy to be home and all together again!

Comments

Popular Posts