Last Post Before We're a Family of 3!
Springtime in Alaska is BEAUTIFUL :) It feels like we're living in a totally new place because everything looks so different.

Way back in the beginning of May my teaching semester ended and brought a flurry of finals and grading. (Some student essays / worksheets spread out in the guest room...)


One Saturday I went to the Fairbanks farmers market with my neighbor-friend Aubrey (the first friend I made in Alaska, way back in September when we got here!) because it FINALLY reopened for the season! We soaked up the sunshine, samples and shrimp tacos. :)
And the beautiful Alaska Range mountains:
...prepping for family and friends to visit this summer (SO EXCITED to see everyone!!) and exercising every day. Yoga is interesting late in the 3rd trimester, but doable, and Barkley and I still walk 2.5 miles every day. :) He lives for our daily walks.
I've been browsing baby books, which Mr. Barkley turns his nose up to. ;)

As usual the theme of our lives lately is change. The only constant is Matt's work schedule, but almost everything else is changing all the time... our growing family, my work, and the seasons included (it's crazy how different each season is here in Fairbanks)! I'll take it as a good sign that everything's progressing on.

It's already light all the time - literally 24/7. I took this picture at midnight and it'll only get brighter around the clock until mid-June!
![]() |
| Midnight from our bedroom window |
Way back in the beginning of May my teaching semester ended and brought a flurry of finals and grading. (Some student essays / worksheets spread out in the guest room...)
That week was hectic, but now that it's over, it's hard to believe my time teaching on campus is done for now... Goodbye classroom! See you again some day!
And as soon as I clicked 'submit' on final grades it was time for our trip to Anchorage. :)
We met up with Tara and the Joneses, who we know from BYU - the husbands did ROTC together and we all got stationed in Fairbanks! It's such a small world! :)
The drive down and back were gorgeous, and the weather was totally perfect.
The drive down and back were gorgeous, and the weather was totally perfect.

On the way down we went past Denali National Park, and on the way back we went a different way to see a glacier!
![]() |
| Matanuska Glacier on the left |
![]() |
| Decisions, decisions... :) |
We only stayed a day and a half but squeezed in visits to Turnagain Arm (a perfectly beautiful lookout point where pods of beluga whales live, even though we didn't see any this time --> already planning our trip back to explore more), went to the temple, did some shopping (Nordstrom I missed you!!), checked out the farmers' market, and explored. We also got to see Matt's aunt and her family who live there. :)
![]() |
| This stand was selling "salmon tacos and reindeer burritos." Alaska just showing off again :) |
It was a great little getaway!
The day after we got back I started a weeklong teaching workshop at UAF. It was just for online instructors and SO good!
The two catered meals per day and endless snacks made it even better :)
The conference room where we spent the week had THE BEST view of Fairbanks:

I met great people and learned a lot. I feel more prepared now to be the only online instructor in my entire department..! (No pressure!?)
And I went to a lovely baby shower for a friend from church. :) Our due dates are only a few weeks apart (and she actually just had her baby which makes me realize how close I am!!), and we're both having girls, so it's been fun talking 'baby' with her all this time!
And this is out of order but Matt and I had our 3 year wedding anniversary!! We happened to have a childbirth class scheduled for that night, so our super romantic anniversary date was spent at the hospital. ;)
It was actually pretty fun. :)
More from the last few weeks:
We hiked to the top of Angel Rocks (my fav hike in Fairbanks!)
We hiked to the top of Angel Rocks (my fav hike in Fairbanks!)
Took a day trip to Black Rapids... Matt had Arctic training there in January when it was FREEZING (like -20s) and had been wanting to take me back when it got warmer!
The valley behind us is home to wild bison. They didn't make an appearance that day but...
| See Barkley in the back? Ha! |
...we did see a few moose along the way!
And the beautiful Alaska Range mountains:
and we've had some great date nights. :)
So life was going along at its normal pace... until this week. My teaching (at UAF and yoga) are on hold until the end of summer, and so the waiting game has officially begun! Our little girl will arrive some time in the next 3 weeks (!!!) and until then, I have a VERY open schedule while Matt works as normal.
So life was going along at its normal pace... until this week. My teaching (at UAF and yoga) are on hold until the end of summer, and so the waiting game has officially begun! Our little girl will arrive some time in the next 3 weeks (!!!) and until then, I have a VERY open schedule while Matt works as normal.
| Ha :) Saying hi from the office |
I don't do well with down time.... so instead of sitting around and watching my feet swell, I've been making the most of it by getting my classes totally prepared for fall semester (organized the syllabus and schedule, re-recorded instructional videos, made screencasts, generally got everything ready for August), started 'nesting' big time, finishing every fix-it I could think of around the house, organizing baby's room...
...prepping for family and friends to visit this summer (SO EXCITED to see everyone!!) and exercising every day. Yoga is interesting late in the 3rd trimester, but doable, and Barkley and I still walk 2.5 miles every day. :) He lives for our daily walks.
I've been browsing baby books, which Mr. Barkley turns his nose up to. ;)
Aaaand I've had fun ordering baby clothes and gear. There's just something about tiny baby clothes that makes baby shopping so much fun!! Since Fairbanks doesn't have much shopping (like at all) I did almost all of it online. For a while, this was our doorstep practically every afternoon...
:)
Cannot wait to start using it all! Even Baby Neuffer's coming home outfit is ready to go...
:)
Cannot wait to start using it all! Even Baby Neuffer's coming home outfit is ready to go...

In the last two weeks two of my friends have had their babies and it's been exciting to visit them and see what the future will look like for us in less than a month!!
Any time now baby girl!


































Comments
Post a Comment