Summer 2015 So Far!

Hi everyone! It's been a few crazy months since our last update. Here's what we've been up to!

In April Matt graduated from BYU and commissioned into the Army as an officer. Both of our parents and my sister Ellen came to Provo to celebrate, and it was so good to see everyone in one place!




Heidi and I got to put on Matt's 'bars,' or the patches on his shoulders
that show he's an Officer, during the ceremony!
Yes I dropped mine on stage… totally smooth ;) 

A week later everyhting we owned was packed up and put into storage! We only took what we will need for one summer and headed off to the East coast!




Sadly we had to leave Barkley with a friend for the summer, but I know he will be in good hands and I am so excited to see him again in the fall!!

We love getting updates about Barkley :)

Our road trip went like this: Provo —> Denver —> Independence, Missouri —> Nashville —> Charleston, South Carolina —> Virginia

Goodbye, Utah!!

 In Denver we celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary!! We also got to meet up with Devon for dinner and explore the city. :)


On the way to Missouri we stopped in Manhattan, Kansas - this was one of the places we thought we might end up for our first station, so we wanted to see it :) I actually LOVED it!

Epitome of small-town America!
Next was Independence, Missouri. We saw Adam-ondi-Ahman, the Independence temple site, and Liberty Jail. They were all incredible but Liberty Jail blew us away!





Next: a quick stop in St. Louis for lunch and a pic with the fameous arch...


…on the way to Nashville, Tennessee!



We spent the night listening to live country music, and next morning ate at the fameous Pancake Pantry :), rented bikes and rode around Vanderbilt University!


Then we veered down south to see Charleston, South Carolina. Aah this place was amazing! I think I asked Matt 35389250 times if we could retire there one day.



Then we headed north and to our home for the summer - Virginia!



The place we're staying is right on base and totally furnished, which was really nice so we didn't have to bring furniture. Where we're staying is basically a long-term hotel, with room service and everything! It also has zero cell reception and unreliable internet service so working and doing school has been a challenge for me!

Matt started training the day after we got here. Three days later, I turned around and flew to LA!



My parents, Ellen, Uncle John, Aunt Linda and I all stayed in an adorable rental house on Manhattan Beach for my and Ellen's double grad school graduation!! Not a big deal or anything. ;) 

We were there for three days and it was sooo good, even though I was so exhausted that I could barely think straight!

It was also the FIRST time I met my cohort since we all take classes / work together online!



I'm pretty sure it was my dad's happiest day :) (He is a huge USC fan!)



 We also got to hang out with Stacy which was the icing on the cake!


Once I got back to Virginia things settled down. Matt goes to work/training every day and I'm doing my same work/school thing (I was able to walk at graduation because my last semester ends in August - I have about 9 more weeks to go before I'm officially done!)

I'm the only wife in Matt's whole group who is staying for the whole summer, probably because the situation worked out where I could bring my job with me (I'm working remotely) - and school too! 

I'm also teaching yoga 6x/week here in Virginia, so I'm staying good and busy. :)

We've had time to do some exploring too! We had a quick trip to Washington DC, where we got to see Matt's cousin and their new baby! We did all the touristy stuff. :)





Last weekend my parents came to visit! We stayed in a rental house in Richmond and explored the city. :) The weekend went by too fast! 



Matt and Dad feeding the fish at the botanical garden :)


Early bday presents from Mom and Dad :) :) 

We have a couple more trips coming up that I'm really excited about, and of course our big move in just a few months! I think our time here will fly by. :)









Comments

Popular Posts