Diving into Fall!
The end of our short summer break has arrived! This week Matt and I both start classes again - it will be our first, and only, semester of our married life that we'll both be in school full time!
The books we'll need this semester have arrived one by one. Almost half of my materials are hard-copy books this time, which is surprising for an online program… at least, last semester most of my resources were online. I think I'll enjoy speding less time reading off a computer screen. :)
Of course we'll both be working through the semester too - me at full time or close to it, and Matt at just about the same between TAing a history class and his ROTC jobs. I spent a lot of my break from school (over the past two weeks) getting ahead at work.
We also used our precious free time for some fun and a lot of outdoor activity!
And Barkley enjoyed the extra attention, that's for sure :)
We went running in the Canyon as much as possible - it's amazingly beautiful this time of year and we made sure to take advantage! It's getting more beautful out there by the day as we get closer to fall.
The origional plan was to hike all the way up Mt. Timponogos together. The hike is fameous for being really hard - it takes about 10 hours round trip - and a lot of people like to start at about 3am to make it to the top in time for sunrise! That was our plan. Mt. Timpanogos is the really tall mountain in the background of this pic:
If you follow me on Instagram you probably know the next story - as we were taking the picture below we heard a bird desperately squacking in the brush behind me! It was a baby duck tangled up in fishing wire! So, so, so sad!!
I held Barkley back as Matt got him out of the bush and untangled him the best we could. The bird was in pretty bad condition but when we let him go, at least he could walk and spread his wings again! I wish the fishers had just cleaned up after themselves… it would have been pretty easy to avoid this whole situation.
P.S. hard to believe this was a year ago!!! —>
Of course we'll both be working through the semester too - me at full time or close to it, and Matt at just about the same between TAing a history class and his ROTC jobs. I spent a lot of my break from school (over the past two weeks) getting ahead at work.
We also used our precious free time for some fun and a lot of outdoor activity!
And Barkley enjoyed the extra attention, that's for sure :)
![]() |
| "come on come on come on!" |
I also got to take my bike out a few times which was SO nice! I did my favorite ride up the canyon, which can be really challenging, until you get to the top and fly all the way back down. :)
Provo Canyon is on my short list of amazing places to exercise outdoors, and it becomes 10,000x better when the temperature drops and the leaves change color. I just love it!
We also got to enjoy it with Zac and Whitney on a quick hike in Big Springs Park. :)
![]() |
| Brothers :) |
| I spy a doggy tail… :) Barkley lost his collar out here, and we're still not sure how. |
![]() |
| Sisters-in-law! And you can almost see that Barkley's feet and belly are covered in mud. Silly dog! |
The origional plan was to hike all the way up Mt. Timponogos together. The hike is fameous for being really hard - it takes about 10 hours round trip - and a lot of people like to start at about 3am to make it to the top in time for sunrise! That was our plan. Mt. Timpanogos is the really tall mountain in the background of this pic:
Unfortunately warnings of thunderstorms made us change our plans, but our smaller, much less intense plan B was pretty fun too. :) It'll be an adventure for another time!
Another day Matt and I went to the Ogden Temple open house!
Every new and remodled LDS temple is open to the public for free tours, for about a month before it's put into use. The Ogden temple was newly remodled so we went to tour the inside with tens of thousands of others during the month. It was absolutely stunning!!
I got these pics from Google Images.
More pictures and info here.
After the tour we decided to take the scenic route home through Park City. The drive into the mountains and up to the resort town was gorgeous - we were surrounded by mountains just starting to turn autumn colors and thunder clouds rolling in.
We had a quick lunch in Park City before driving around the upscale neighborhoods, admiring the gorgous and outrageously expensive homes! The ski town is really quiet this time of year - it's definately the "off" season.
The funny thing is these homes are probably empty most of the year… I wonder if they'd mind us living in them while the owners are gone? :)
We were about to take a ski lift ride through the mountains until we realized it would cost $80?? What?
We were also sure to have some good date nights! The most interesting was the night we drove up to American Fork Canyon. We packed stuff for s'mores and to build a fire, only to get there and have it start pouring rain! We weren't too dissappointed becuase the mountain lightnening show was out of this world! The thunder sounded more like someone was shooting off a gun right next to us - sooo loud. :)
If you follow me on Instagram you probably know the next story - as we were taking the picture below we heard a bird desperately squacking in the brush behind me! It was a baby duck tangled up in fishing wire! So, so, so sad!!
I held Barkley back as Matt got him out of the bush and untangled him the best we could. The bird was in pretty bad condition but when we let him go, at least he could walk and spread his wings again! I wish the fishers had just cleaned up after themselves… it would have been pretty easy to avoid this whole situation.
It made for a memorable night. :)
I also had time to do some shopping, which involved a stop at PetSmart to check out the Halloween costumes they had for dogs :D We didn't end up buying one (it's hard to justify spending $25+ on a dog costume) but did end up laughing out loud trying them on!!
![]() |
| "What do you want to be, Barkley??" :) |
![]() |
| "Sharkley" :D |
Barkley was a good sport and didn't seem to mind! When he had the "Sharkley" costume on an employee came up and said "you're not trying to embarrass him are you?" It was just so funny!!
I also got to check out a new-to-me yoga studio, Lifed Life in Alpine, that my friend Nicole reommended! It was easily one of the best yoga classes I've taken in a long time!
Yoga classes at the Rec Center are postponed this and last week because of annual refurbishing, but starting next week they'll be up and running again. I cut back to only teaching ONCE a week from now until Christmas, which I'm actually really sad about… I miss teaching more often!! Hopefully I'll have more free time than I expect this semester and will be able to do a lot of subbing too :)
The last two weeks of relative calm have been WONDERFUL for us and now we both feel ready for the upcoming school year - which will probably be the craziest of our lives! BUT just on the other side is our trip to Germany and Switzerland which we can't stop talking about! :)
And we have another couple trips planned too (much smaller) that we're really looking forward to. :D
Classes and work are sure to bring lots of challenges, but for now my only concern is.. who will I root for this football season???
;)
We'll probalby check in again a couple more times during the semester - "see" you then! :)
P.S. hard to believe this was a year ago!!! —>


























Comments
Post a Comment