First marathon, 24th birthday, camping, and Europe plans!

It's been just over a month since our last post - the longest I've gone without a blog update since I started this blog over a year ago! The reason: grad classes and working full time (plus some)! It's so exciting that I'm over half way done with my first semseter :D Classes are really hard, but I'm enjoying the challenge! :) (most of the time!)

So, while I'm working 40+ hours a week plus teaching yoga, I'm also devoting 25-30 hours a week on classes. Let's just say, it's a good thing I love what I do! Still, without some fun here and there I would have gone crazy weeks ago.

Here's what's keeping me sane - AKA what Matt and I have been up to when I'm not studying, working, or teaching…!

THE MARATHON!

On June 14 Ellen and I ran the Utah Valley Marathon!

Ringing the PR bell!

It was both of our first marathon and if that's not great sister bonding, I don't know what is! :) She flew into Utah for the weekend just for the race and it was amazing!!

Our first stop after picking her up? Cafe Rio of course :)


Friday we went to the race expo! Even though I'd been training since January, work and school had been my day-to-day focus and the race always seemd like a distant event. Fortunately, something about officially getting our race numbers and shirts, sampling running pruducts, and being around so many devoted runners put me in the marathon mindset!

let the nerves and excitement begin!!!!

Plus I set a record at a flexibility contest and won a shirt, which helped a lot :)



Matt and me with Barkley heads on

We also made sure to stop at the world's best donut place, because everyone knows donuts are the best marathon fuel ;)


The next day was RACEDAY! Our alarms went off really early.

 

Matt dropped us off in time for to take the 3am marathon bus that took a bunch of us racers up the canyon, to the starting line!!!


They had fire pits and music going by the time we got there - so thoughtful becuase it was freezing!

We waited a couple hours for everyone to arrive, and then suddenly we were running!! We didn't stop for 4 hours and 45 minutes (4:35 for Ellen)!



It was really hard. 


But I did it!!! I'm glad Ellen was there becuase she was actually the only reason I got to the finish line. (otter pops at mile 23 helped too :)

bro- and sis-in-law selfie!

The first thing I did after crossing the finish line and getting my medal was pet a puppy that Ell found!

less than 5 minutes after finishing the marathon

 Seeing Matt at the finish line waiting for me was one of the absolute best parts. :)


He helped me so much in my training, and got this victory shot!


 So, is another race in my future? Maybe! :)



I still can't believe we did it! We wore our medals all day and kept saying "wait - we ran a marathon!!" :D 


CAMPING WITH STACY AND HEATHER!


A couple weeks earlier I had such an amazing weekend in Zion National Park with two of my best friends! :)


You can tell we're California girls because we ALL wore our Rainbows - no coordination necessary!


We even hiked the Narrows, which has been on my Utah to-do list for a while. It was even more beautiful than I imagined!!


Part of hanging out with college/high school friends after college is that it always feels bittersweet  (at least to me) - It was sooo good to see Heather and Stacy again but the whole time knew it would be so short-lived. I wish we could relive the whole weekend again, it was so wonderful!


MY BIRTHDAY!

Friday was my 24th birthday!


Matt took me on two hikes (one the day before, and one on my birthday) and to dinner in Sundance! On our first hike, to the hot springs, we saw a MOOSE with a BABY! Who knew moose lived in Utah??


On my actual bday, after work we went to Sundance and took a ski lift to the top of a mountain to hike around - it was sooo fun!






When we got hungry we headed back down the mountain (in the ski lift) for dinner at the lodge!


Sundance does not dissappoint, and this was one of the most enjoyable meals we have ever had! :)


To round out the night we took a drive through the beautiful Alpine Loop


Great birthday :)

and finally...

WE BOUGHT TICKETS TO EUROPE!!!

We've been planning a trip to Germany and Switzerland since last Christmas, and a few weeks ago we finally bought our tickets!! It feels so REAL now and we're so, SO excited!

except Barkley becasue he's not coming :(

Matt's new hobby is planning all of our stops :) This will be our first big trip together and I'm already counting down the days!!



I'll try to keep posting once a month, so keep checking back! :) I'm not on FB anymore, so if you want notifications when we post you can add us on bloglovin' so our posts pop up in your feed. We're figuring out how to let people subscribe by email but it's complicated...

Here's a video of Barkley and Matt because I don't think there was enough about either of them this time. :)


Comments

Popular Posts